The Professor Hilary Koprowski Gdańsk Science and Technology Park (GSTP) is a place designated for the development of science and entrepreneurship, cooperation between economic, social, scientific, research and local government entities. Together we are creating and promoting new economic and technological solutions.
Our buildings comprise a comfortable space for small-, medium-sized and large companies. At our premises we host approximately 80 tenants that carry out their business here, including companies operating in the field of new technologies and start-ups. Our residents have at their disposal a lot of amenities, including adequately equipped conference and training rooms, and they can choose from an abundances of events, trainings and lectures, not to mention the assistance of experts and professionals. The Park facilities are home to the Integrated 3D Printing Centre, advanced laboratories, the Technology Incubator, the Data Centre, the Co Work, a kindergarten, a nursery school and a bistro.
The Park was created upon the initiative of the Marshal’s Office of Pomorskie Voivodeship, the city of Gdańsk, the Gdańsk University of Technology and the Pomeranian Special Economic Zone (Pomorska Specjalna Strefa Ekonomiczna Sp. z o.o.), which currently manages the Park.
The history of GSTP
2006 – start of work on the adaptation of the former Gdańsk Printing Plant to the needs of the Gdańsk Science and Technology Park, modernisation of approx. 3300 square metres of the Gdańsk Printing Plant’ facility,opening of the Gdańsk Science and Technology Park and naming it after Prof. Hilary Koprowskiand opening of the Technology Incubator, providing offices to companies set up by graduates and employees of universities in the region.
2007-2008 - beginning of construction works on the extension of the GSTP with two modern buildings with office space as well as technological and laboratory facilities with the total area of more than 40,000 square meters.
2011 – opening of the first building – building B.
2013 – opening of building A with modern laboratories.
A modern facility was built, and it breathed new life into the place where former old-style plants existed.
Patron of GSTP
Professor Hilary Koprowski (born on 5 December 1916 in Warsaw, died on 11 April 2013 in Philadelphia) - a Polish physician, virologist, Associate Professor at the Thomas Jefferson University. An inventor of the first polio vaccine, against a virus causing poliomyelitis. In 1959, he donated nine million doses of this vaccine to Poland, as a result of which the incidence of polio decreased from over one thousand (1959) to 30 (1963). In 1989, Professor set up the Koprowskis Foundation, which has supported Polish science in the scope of fundamental, biological and medical research.
He published over 880 scientific papers, was a member of various prestigious scientific associations. For many years Koprowski ran the Wistar Institute in Philadelphia, as well as the Institute of Biotechnology and Molecular Medicine and the Neurovirology Centre at the Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. He was awarded the Commander's Cross with a Star of the Order of Polonia Restituta (1998). He received the honorary degree (honoris causa) from the Academy of Medicine in Poznań and Warsaw, as well as the Warsaw University of Life Sciences. Koprowski was awarded the title of the Knight of the Order of Smile. He supported Polish science, funded a scholarships for young researchers from Poland in the leading research institutes in the USA.